Monday, June 2, 2008

Painting and Paper

Have you ever imagined what things would look like through another color of eyes? If my eyes were blue I might see blue trees like these. People might also be blue, and dogs and cats.

This painting of the day is a watercolor on Arches Cold Press Watercolor paper sized approximately 10 x 13 inches. For purchase information click here. I have put this painting up for sale on my Etsy site, DreamON.

Why do I paint on this paper? Paper is probably the most important piece of making a decent watercolor painting. Brushes are the next most important. Paint is important, but not for the reasons you might think. I have tried painting with yucky watercolor paper, and it makes your job as an artist so much more difficult it is amazing to think that just paper could make such a difference. If you have a choice of where to spend your learning dollars, spend it on brushes and paper. I have found I like Arches and Fabriano paper the best. I buy Arches watercolor paper 25 sheets at a time in order to get a better price. I find some of the other manufacturers don't offer the ability to buy a pack of 25 sheets. I like Fabriano because it gives a nice soft surface to work on. Arches is familiar and predictable, and it is a great surface to work on wet or dry. It is strong. I can lift color from it, and even scrub it without destroying it, if I'm careful that is. It also makes a good surface for acrylics. Both of these papers are professional quality.

No comments:

My Workspace

My Workspace
On The Pier At St. Simons Island

New Art, New Techniques, Hints, Thoughts, Photos and More

Stay tuned! For purchase information about any of the artwork, check out my Etsy store -- DreamON or send me email (conversation) by pressing the contact button at http://DreamON.Etsy.com.