Monday, January 7, 2008

Bright and Shining is Elektra Jewelry

I find it quite interesting finding out about how the various shop owners have come up with their shop's name. In her profile for ElektraJewelry Dina Cuomo, the owner says that Elektra means bright and shining in Greek. (Hmmm! Think I'm going to do some more purposeful looking into how the shops were named in consequent features. )

As a child, Dina was a huge fan of glitter, most likely spreading it over anything that didn't move. Sounds fun! Then as she grew up, she loved being able to wear pretty jewelry of her own.

Because of a trip to Greece when she was 15 years old, Dina was able to see firsthand from an early age, the work of Greek artisan jewelers which heightened her appreciation for all things glittery. Now she works in real 18k and 24k gold and gold vermeil (24k gold layered over sterling silver).

She says, "I make one of a kind jewelry pieces to accommodate many different styles and fashion trends. My time and energy is devoted to creating pieces that can be worn and enjoyed for years to come. I love to work with gold vermeil, Bali sterling silver,semi-precious stones and vintage glass beads. Lampwork beads and Venetian Murano glass have become some of my favorite materials. The colors of these beautful Venetian beads are so exceptional,they add another dimension to my jewelry. I use top quality findings and stones to create unique pieces which I do not duplicate."

For years Dina wore gold jewelry, before discovering that silver complimented certain stones equally as well or perhaps even better than gold. The effect of these red sponge beads against the silver in The Lady in Red necklace is stunning on this black background.

Be sure to go and look at all the beautiful work in Dina's shop and blog which you can find at these locations:
http://elektrajewelry.etsy.com/
http://elektrajewelry.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the lovely feature.

My Workspace

My Workspace
On The Pier At St. Simons Island

New Art, New Techniques, Hints, Thoughts, Photos and More

Stay tuned! For purchase information about any of the artwork, check out my Etsy store -- DreamON or send me email (conversation) by pressing the contact button at http://DreamON.Etsy.com.